Thursday, May 01, 2008

It's a Good Decade

Now that I've had some time to think about my birthday and how I've felt about turning 30, I've actually discovered that I'm pretty excited about it!

I've started thinking that I wasn't really meant to be in my 20s. I mean, they were great. I did many memorable, wonderful things. Graduated from college, lived abroad for a year, got my first job/apartment/car, graduated from college again, got married, got a house/dog/cat. I've obviously left off countless experiences, but I think that list covers the biggest ones.

But there's a couple things about my 20s that just didn't quite fit. I'm not big into going out, dancing, drinking ... all those wild and crazy things you're supposed to enjoy doing in your 20s. Like in college—I enjoyed being in college a lot, but I definitely didn't feel like I fit the undergrad stereotype.

However, now I'm in my 30s. And even though it's just my own mental perception, I feel like the 30s suit my personality much better. When I think about what 30s means to me, I feel like your world gets smaller, in a good way. You spent your entire childhood and young adulthood learning new things, trying out new experiences, traveling and learning about yourself and others.

Now, in my 30s, I think that I can take all of that knowledge and apply it back to myself. I think of settling down into a house and starting a family. Focusing on the people closest to me, and really just enjoying where I am in life, and the person I am becoming. Learning to be content with the adult Me. Spending time on my current interests and hobbies, because I don't feel pressured to be the carefree, adventurous young thing that I never really was anyway.

I don't really think of a stereotype for the 30s, and that's so exciting. It's the women from Sex and the City and it's small-town family life. It's settling down or starting a new life on your own terms. It's whatever you want it to be!

I'm looking forward to my 30s. And I think they will live up to my expectations, because my only real expectation is that I make my own choices and try to enjoy life. It's going to be a good decade!

No comments: