Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We love to cut it close

Well, the roofers arrived this morning. Our house was originally on the schedule for last week, which I thought would be great. Definitely finished by the baby's arrival time.

Except then, because of weather, it got pushed back to Monday. And then to today. And when they weren't here by 8 o'clock, I was afraid that they weren't coming at all.

But they did roll in around 9 .... half of a crew, instead of a whole crew. And informed me that, instead of being a 1-day job as I was originally told (2 at the outside), they're expecting it to take 3 days. Meaning that they would finish on my Thursday, July 17. You know, my due date.

I don't really know what to think. Is this normal? Is this to be expected when you're having a large job being done where the schedule is weather dependent? Should I be annoyed and arguing with the main office about the scheduling? Or should I just take it in stride?

My fear is that something will come up. If everything goes exactly as according to the estimate I originally signed, there's no need for Keith and me to be around and accessible. But what if things change? They find decking that needs to be replaced that wasn't covered by the original estimate and they need us to approve the additional cost of changes? I'm guessing it would be rather difficult for us to discuss roofing issues in-between contractions.

But anyway, let's focus on the good news: They have started. Even if they don't finish until Thursday, the forecast predicts no rain until Sunday. And, even if I go into labor today—as soon as I finish this post?—once I give birth and stay in the hospital for a few days, everything should still be finished before I come home with Little L. I'm just going to block out the racket above me, and focus on the positives. Or try.


Jan said...

Wow, I'm surprised that they showed up this soon. We contracted for the house to be painted in March and they are in the midst of painting now - on their 3rd week. We are hoping that it will be finished by the end of the week.

But anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting the post that you are in labor and the Little L is on the way.

May God bless you with a quick and easy labor.

Laurie said...

Good for you for focusing on the positive:) I'm sure that's easier said than done. Best wishes to you, the baby and Keith. You all are in my thoughts. Can't wait to hear about the baby's birthday!
Take care.

M. Lubbers said...

Jan: I was actually also surprised at the schedule, when we confirmed at the end of June that we wanted our roof done. At least it will all be over soon! (Except for the paying, of course;)

Thanks to both of you for your good wishes. I'll need all the positive thinking I can get! I look forward to keeping everyone posted.

Amy said...

I, too, hope that they finish up before Little L comes home! My mom still thinks that the reason my sister was so fussy/cranky as a baby was because all the noise the workmen made* prevented her from having good naps.

I don't know what the excuse is now that she's a fussy/cranky grown-up, though . . .

: )

* I forget if they were putting on a new roof or new siding ... I was only three, after all.