Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Good Idea ... Not Entirely Thought Through

For Christmas, we gave a LOT of books. I also made bookmarks to go with them. I thought it was a nice idea; there was no way I could make everyone's gifts, but at least this way I could include a small handmade item.

And the bookmarks did turn out quite well, if I say so myself. For my family, I included a fall picture from the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For Keith's family, it was a beach sunset picture from Costa Rica. Every bookmark had a picture of Eleanor on the reverse side.

I did forget one thing in all my careful planning and detailed work. I didn't take into account how much babies love pictures of babies. My sister Erin called me the day after Christmas to say her son Gavin (15 months) had stolen both her bookmark, and her husband's right out of the book. Not long after that, my book was sitting on the coffee table. Eleanor saw it and her eyes lit up.

"Baby!" she cried.

"No!" I said, but it was too late. The bookmark was already out of the pages, being eagerly grasped in tiny hands, caressed by chubby little fingers.

Next time, maybe I should put the dog's picture on the back?

3 comments:

jeremy said...

Let me know when you finish the book in the picture. It's on my list of books to read.

Jonathan Beckett said...

I must admit - I didn't see it coming either... I would have given the same thing, and had exactly the same thing happen lol

M. Lubbers said...

Jeremy: Done!

Jonathan: Glad to know I'm not the only one who misses the obvious:) She loves everything baby and still, I didn't see it coming!