Friday, June 10, 2011

Clean Closets ... Messy Kitchen

I hate how, anytime we try to do "Spring Cleaning," the process never gets completed. A couple months ago, when Keith's parents were visiting we took the opportunity to clean out our closet. (I know! Our lives are so exciting!)

This was when I was first switching over to maternity clothes, and there definitely was NOT room in the closet for all of the regular clothes that don't fit me or I never wear for whatever reason, plus the clothes that usually do fit me, plus the influx of maternity clothes. So all of the too-small, too-old clothes had to go.

It was great! I love cleaning out closets and getting rid of things. And then, actually being able to find clothes that find in the new, much sparser collection! These are all the things I like about a cleaning project.

The problem is, we never actually get around to taking the cast-offs to Goodwill. Is it really that hard? I'm sure it's not, and we're just making it out to be much harder than it should be. So for months, we've had garbage bags of clothes. First they were in the guest bedroom. Then they moved to the kitchen. Two of the 4 bags even made it to the trunk of the car ... and now they're in the garage, because that trunk space was needed.

PLUS, I used Keith's car the other week and stopped by the grocery store. I popped open the trunk to load in the groceries ..... and found that it was stuffed full of crap I had completely forgotten about. From the LAST time we'd cleaned out some items to take to Goodwill. I can't even tell you how long ago that was. I'm pretty sure it was pre-Eleanor, so at least 3 years ago.

This is now on the top of my to-do list for the summer. Clean out rooms ... and actually get rid of the stuff, instead of just sticking it somewhere else!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ditto! Well, sort of. I, too, have a few sacks of old clothes near the front door, but they never make it into the trunk to go the donation bin. I also have piles of books/DVDs/CDs that I think I'm going to sell back somewhere, but since I might get $5 for the lot, I should probably just save time and donate those as well.

M. Lubbers said...

Yes! I definitely hang onto media items far too long, thinking someday I'll have the time and energy to sell them and make a little money. Really, that's never going to happen, but the thought of making some money on the side is tempting!