Friday, July 29, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday, Eleanor!


In all the talk about lead paint, I never really mentioned Eleanor's third birthday. She turned 3 over a week ago, and her birthday party was last Saturday.

She is such a wonderful, amazing little girl. And absolutely a girl now, not a baby. I think once toddlers start saying things like, "Apparently, there's a sunflower in the vase!" as she did on the day of her party, they really are closer to being a Kid than a Baby. And, in just over a month, she'll be starting Preschool. A clear milestone in the growth of her independence.

Thinking about her birth is even more poignant this year, because I'm also thinking about the upcoming birth in October. Getting excited to meet this new, amazing person who will be every bit as wonderful and challenging—in different ways, I'm sure. It's been such a joy to get to know Eleanor's personality so far. In many ways, being pregnant for the second time seems much more concrete to me because I can really understand that those movements I feel are a person. A person who will one day voice thoughts and opinions of his/her own (probably sooner than I'm expecting, if anything like Eleanor!).

I look forward to every day with Eleanor, and I can't wait to see her become a big sister!

No comments: