Monday, August 22, 2011

Day Tripper

Is it possible that I used to be that woman who never even carried a purse? I had a small fabric change purse that fit in my back pocket, and off I went.

Last week, Eleanor and I were meeting my Mom at her house and going out to Miss Molly's, a Victorian tea room. So a visit of just a few hours; no big deal, right?

In the end, this is what the trunk of the car looked like for that short little trip.

First of all, we decided to meet at Mom's house before the tea room, and then go back to her house after so Eleanor would (hopefully) nap and then Mom and I would get a chance to catch up. Whenever we're out of the house for more than a few hours, I end up packing a change of clothes for Eleanor and some toys to keep her entertained in the car. I also packed my knitting and the fabric for her new curtains, in case I had the opportunity and energy to work on hemming them (didn't happen).

Since it was a Thursday, Dad's golf night, Mom also asked if Keith might be interested in coming out after work to golf with Dad. He was, so that meant packing golf clubs for Keith, as well as a change of clothes.

That also meant, since we were staying all day, that we would bring Beckett to the house with us, along with his food.

At this point, Mom mentioned that she would offer to keep Eleanor all night, since the guys get back late from golfing, and that way we wouldn't have to put her down and wake her up to drive back home ... but she had a doctor's appointment the following morning. I said, "Well, if you're really offering..." because I was already coming back out to her side of town for a playdate on Friday, so I said I could pick Eleanor up in the morning before Mom's appointment. That meant Eleanor's back changed into an overnight bag AND her favorite blankie.

I think that explains all of the various bags featured in the picture above. Oh wait: Not pictured is my small purse. Maybe someday, in about another 20 years, that's all I will carry.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Love it! Way back in my mind I can remember the days when we walked out of our house with our UD ID, a couple bucks, and our house key shoved in our back pockets.... Then, just this past weekend I was shopping for a new purse; but it has to have room for my huge wallet, a couple diapers, snack trap, a seperate compartment for my phone and lip gloss, a little place to stash a paci, and TONS of other space for the other junk I tote around town. Not quite simple anymore, is it?!? I wanted to scream just looking at all the cute little purses and thinking of the skinny young girls that would carry them on their tiny bare sholders out to the night clubs. :-)

Guess I'll pack up my purse/diaper bag/small suitcase and run my errands to Kohls and Kroger with a smile on my face. I wouldn't trade my BIG bag for the world!

M. Lubbers said...

Andrea: Your comment reminds me of my infamous Letter to the Editor from junior year, making fun of the hoochie freshman girls. Those are the ones I imagine you're talking about, with the tiny purses on their bare shoulders.

We did make our life choices that have resulted in the big bags, and I think we're both happy with those choices. But every once in a while, when I go out by myself, I make sure to take the smallest bag I have, as a reminder that it can still be done! Once in a blue moon.