Thursday, August 30, 2007

The End of Harry Potter

So I finally finished. In the space of a month, I re-read books 1-6 and then devoured book 7.

I'm very sad to have finished. To know that Harry, Ron, and Hermione won't be having any new adventures. To know I won't be taking the Hogwarts Express with them, suffering through Snape's classes, and cheering at the Quidditch matches.

I don't want to say much more, because I'm actually not the last person in my group of family and friends to finish the book (Moms, I'm looking in your direction). After managing not to have the ending or any major plot points revealed, I don't want to be that spoiler for someone else. Interestingly enough, I was impressed how hard it's been to find spoilers online. Since I've finished the book, I've been trying to get others' reactions to and thoughts about it, and I've had difficulty finding articles that discuss the actual events in the book—not just the hoopla surrounding the initial release.

I've also found myself being very jealous of J.K. Rowling. I would love to create a character like Harry, whom millions of people around the world have followed diligently and have incorporated into their lives. I would love to actually write full-time, instead of trying to fit it in around everything else that's going on.

Oh, and living in a castle outside Edinburgh and having a million kajillion dollars wouldn't hurt, either.

No comments: