Friday, August 24, 2007

It Was A Dark and Stormy Morning

I can't avoid it anymore—I have to admit that the days really are getting shorter.

Of late, when Beckett and I have gone for a run before work, I've noticed that it seems a little darker out. But I always managed to blame it on the weather. It's been raining a lot lately. Or, if not rainy, then at least overcast.

But not today. We walked outside into the dusky pre-dawn light, and I could see enough to know that it was a clear sky. No clouds to block the light. Daylight just hadn't arrived yet.

It's interesting because Fall has always been my favorite season. But that was before I started getting up to run before work. This new habit has definitely changed my outlook on the weather, and the seasons. I remember last Fall, how short the days were by the end of November.

I quit running, pretty much, after the Thanksgiving Day race and didn't start again until March. But even so, I still had to get up and walk the dog. And I found the dark mornings utterly depressing, not to mention treacherous if I was running and happened to miss an uneven sidewalk in the dark.

So this year I'm conflicted. I'm looking forward to the changing of the leaves, the crisp, cool air, and apple cider. But I'm not looking forward to the dark mornings.

No comments: