Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Poetic Justice at the Office

I was trapped. This is why I never bother bringing a book to read at lunch. Because I look forward to it all morning, and then don't get to read because I have to listen instead.

Not even take part in conversation, because I rarely say anything. I just listen to other people drone on. One guy in particular is notorious for telling and re-telling the same stories to the same people many, many times.

This time, it was a story that was new to me, yet still incredibly boring. Everyone was leaving the lunchroom and I was getting ready to pick up my book. I was looking forward to Harry Potter and I having the lunchroom to ourselves for a full 15 minutes. But he stopped on his way out and turned. "Did I ever tell you about my son's marching band drums?"

I froze. What's the right answer? If I say "yes," even though the true answer is "no," can I get away with it? Will he leave? I don't remember what I said, but whatever it was, apparently I gave him enough encouragement that he gave up all pretence of leaving and talked away the whole 15 MINUTES with an inane story full of details I couldn't care less about. It was so painful. My book was inches from my right hand, sitting closed up on the table. So close! And yet so far.

Anyway, it's poetic justice because another co-worker slipped out right after "Did I ever tell you about ...?" giving me a grin and a waggle of the fingers as he escaped. The next morning, he came over to my desk to glumly inform me that, after his joy at escaping the lunchtime lecture .... he got caught AFTER work and had to listen to this guy drone on for an hour. AFTER WORK. Not that I would wish that on anyone, but he was very gleeful about leaving me in Chatty Cathy's clutches, as it were.

I didn't bring my book to lunch today. I wasn't even going to risk the despair. Instead, I spent lunchtime staring off into space, dreaming about when I get home and sit on the couch and read uninterrupted. No matter how talkative Gomez is, I won't let her keep me from Harry's adventures.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah, well, Cathy ditched today (she's "sick") so it's just me and Sr. Linda at lunch time. Urk!!

Anyhow, I tend to bring reading material that I can share at lunch time. Like, an issue of Entertainment Weekly or Time to flip through and use as conversation fodder. Lately I've been bringing in some of the NYC guidebooks I mentioned on my blog. Oh, and yesterday Susan and I had some good laughs out of Wasn't the Future Wonderful? and The New York World's Fair, 1939/1940: in 155 Photographs by Richard Wurts and Others.

And: I was going to be all "You're not finished with Harry Potter yet??" But then I remembered that you were trying to reread the whole series. How's that crazy idea working out?

M. Lubbers said...

I think you're onto something with bringing lighter reading material to work. That's what I usually have--a Runner's World or Real Simple. I just couldn't resist the lure of Harry though, and I should have.

I finished re-reading Book 6 on Wednesday, and started Book 7 yesterday. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend. This means that I will have read the entire series in about a month. Good stuff!