Thursday, February 21, 2008

No Seriously: Temping is Old News

I just looked back through my old posts, all the way back to January 11 to find my original post claiming that I wouldn't be a temp much longer. And now, over a month later, it's finally true! I am a full-time employee of the University where I've been "temping" since May 2006.

Things don't really feel that different. While I was still a temp, I transitioned into a different job in the department that had more responsibility. I was then hired for the existing job, which apparently is easier than trying to convince the higher-ups that a job which has been filled by temps for years should suddenly be full-time and have benefits. So although my job has changed recently, on the day before I was full-time, and on the day after, I was at the same desk, doing the same job.

The only thing that has really changed is that I'll be doing the same work for significantly more pay. However, instead of getting paid once a week I'll only get paid once a month. When my first new paycheck arrives, then I think I'll realize that there's actually a big difference between my old and current employee status!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats!

FitGeGe said...

Congratulations!!! I'm happy for you. Big changes in 2008!

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks, guys! In the day-to-day operations, it doesn't make a big difference. But it makes a difference to me!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!

(I just heard Kermit the Frog ...)