Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Outsourcing Charity

My birthday is coming up in early April, and I've had some family members asking what I might like as a gift to celebrate the start of my third decade. So far, I've had a hard time coming up with ideas.

Books, CDs, and clothes are always good options. But is there anything else? It's times like this that make me realize how good I really have it. I can't really think of any material items that I need. Nothing significant that I've been yearning for, but unable or unwilling to spend the money on myself.

The one thing I thought of is asking people to donate money to the charities that I always mean to support financially .... and then don't. But I think outsourcing my charity contributions sorta misses the whole point. So the facts that 1) I don't need anything, and 2) I haven't made any significant contributions to charity in the past year both point to the conclusion that I need to make this more of a priority in my life.

On the other hand, to be fair, it's not that I've been spending tons of money on myself to the neglect of charities. Since January, I don't know if I've bought one CD or book. I have bought clothes, but that's because I needed an entire new maternity wardrobe. So where is all this money going to instead of charity?!? Maybe a big donation should be the birthday present I give myself, to start my 30s off right as a responsible, caring citizen.

No comments: