Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Brain Is Old

I went to the optometrist the other week. I was pretty excited to go, because my contacts have been giving me headaches ever since Eleanor was born. And now, 6 months later, I'm finally getting around to doing something about it.

After the eye exam, the doctor asked me whether I had any interest in switching from my usual, day-wear contacts to contacts that you can leave in day and night. I said "no," and explained how I don't wear my contacts all the time, they're mostly for sporting activities, etc .....

As I'm listening to the words coming out of my mouth, I am silently acknowledging to myself that it's all a load of crap. I mean, technically it may be true. But the real reason I'm not even considering overnight contacts is that I think they're unnatural. Contacts that you can wear at night?!? That's crazy!

I am completely okay with the general concept of contacts, because they've been around for most of my formative years. But wearing them for extra long periods of time, especially at night, was definitely against the rules. So even though an optometrist is recommending them as a viable option, I can't wrap my head around the idea.

And this is one way that I know I'm getting older. Because scientific advances are starting to seem too far out there for me to really believe. I can almost feel my synapses slowing down, my gray matter hardening into the well-traveled paths of thinking.

Next thing I know, you'll probably be trying to tell me that information can be transmitted through the air, and that any qualified individual can become President of the United States. I may nod and smile, but I probably won't believe you, though.

5 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

My other half has contacts that she wears 24/7 for weeks at a time. She thinks they are brilliant (because she can see when she wakes up lol).

She does give her eyes a couple of days rest in-between sets of contacts, but apparently doesn't really need to.

Amy said...

See, I have the kind of contacts that I'm not supposed to wear 24/7, but I do it anyway. Mostly for the same reason Jonathan mentioned — so I can see when I wake up.

However, I'm running low and haven't called in an order for more, so I've just taken to wearing my glasses 24/7. (That's been going on for about three months . . . )

Anyhow, did you have to get a stronger prescription, and did that cure the headaches?

M. Lubbers said...

Maybe next time I'll be wild and crazy and try the 24/7 contacts. Although I probably won't be able to resist being like Wendy and giving them a break now and again.

Funnily enough, I actually get a weaker prescription! My one eye stayed the same, and the other improved a smidge. Isn't that weird? But my headaches are gone, so it must be right!

FitGeGe said...

That's why I'm glad I got that there Lasik before I was too old to believe in it - you know, way back in my 20's! (By the way, Lasik: like magic. MAGIC FOR THE EYES.)

M. Lubbers said...

I've been waiting for other people to be Lasik guinea pigs. To make sure it's safe and really works long-term before I do it. So thanks for the help!;)