Monday, January 12, 2009

One Hand in My Pocket

Why do baby clothes have pockets? Real, functional pockets?

And maternity clothes don't?!? Do clothing makers really think babies need pockets more than pregnant women do? What exactly are they going to put in there? Eleanor has jeans and hoodies with tiny, adorable little pockets. I ended up with three pairs of maternity pants with fake pockets. A line of stitching that suggests the presence of a useful pocket, which in actuality does not exist.

A pregnant woman may not be able to see her hips very well, but that doesn't mean she can't feel her way into a pocket for a tissue or some loose change for the vending machine.

But babies? Their hand coordination is terrible. They never remember where they put anything. And they're not even ALLOWED to touch anything that is small enough to fit into a baby pocket. What kind of crazy world are we living in?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing was that I actually had a conversation with my mother-in-law about pockets on kids' clothes. She said that her uncle once yelled at her since her little boy's pants didn't have any pockets. Where was he supposed to stash his precious rocks and little treasures? So from that point on, she always made sure that the boys' pants had pockets! I'm guessing that PJ was probably one when this all occured.... and by about that age, Will was busy exploring what he could shove in his pockets. His little hands barely fit in the pockets, but he sure thinks they're cool! And fake pockets really confuse him. Now I have to check his pockets before I do laundry. :-) I find rocks, and crumbs, and all sorts of little things he finds around the house.... he can even stuff a pacifier into his tiny cargo pockets.

Anonymous said...

Forget the useless pockets, I'm going to warn you now--they sell low-rise jeans for kids. I went to buy Maddie jeans at Old Navy and the size for five-year-olds come in regular and LOW-RISE!!! Seriously?!?!

Jonathan Beckett said...

The pockets are there so parents can dress their kids up like little grown-ups.

I am all for dressing the kids up in the most fabulous rubbish possible - bear suits, bumblebee suits, frog suits... much more fun.

Of course the rest of the time they can make do with a babygrow.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is, I've found random things in Maddie's pockets -- earrings, stickers, etc. I think they probably fell in there rather than her putting them in there, but it's still amusing.

And the maternity pants thing bugs the CRAP out of me,especially considering I live out of my pockets.

M. Lubbers said...

I can understand pockets for toddlers. But a 3- or 6-month old? When she tries to put something in her month, half of the time she smacks herself in the forehead. I don't think she's quite got the hand/eye coordination to put something in a baby pocket.

Low-rise jeans for kids?!? I'm not looking forward to that.

Jonathan: I'm guessing a babygrow is the same as what I'd call a onesie? Or a sleep-to-play, one-piece outfit? If so, that's what Eleanor spends the majority of her time in.

I wonder what the first thing I find in Eleanor's pockets will be? And probably it will be by accident, not on purpose!