Sunday, June 27, 2010

Comments or questions?

It seems ironic to make this a post instead of a comment, but I wanted to comment on commenting.

When I was crying out for positive feedback a week ago, several commentors promised to try harder to write more and better comments. But I swear I wasn't trying to guilt trip anyone into constantly writing on my blog. As long as I'm doing my job, you shouldn't have to provide the content :)

Jonathan mentioned not commenting with "I do that" or "That happened to me, too," but really I do like those kinds of comments. Those comments, and comments in general, do show that my writing has meaning for people and that's what I want to see.

Really, what I'm trying to say here is: Comments mean a lot to me. So if you would like to leave a short comment (or a novella) every once in awhile, I would like to see that. But if I talk to you or email and you also tell me that you enjoy what I write, that counts, too. Like some of my readers (Amy), I do a lot of my blog reading in Google Reader, and I don't post comments nearly as often as I should (say, on Jonathan's blog).

So I promise I'm not going to come back and chastise you all if, two weeks from now, I have many commentless posts. It took me 4 1/2 years of blogging before I felt the need to harangue my readers, so by that logic, you should be safe until 2015.

Now the question is, how many comments will a post about commenting receive? Or has it all been said?

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

I'm going to revise the "I did that" thing :)

I'm always aware - when passing comment - of not falling into the "I'll make a vague reference to the first sentence, and then write something completely unrelated".

I guess Twitter has made me more cynical than ever of the marketing morons who are only in it for themselves, and who haven't actually read your post at all, or care about what you wrote (he says, going off on his own agenda lol)

emily said...

i'm a novice blog reader. in fact, yours is the only blog i read. so commenting rarely crosses my mind. however, i love reading your blog and would certainly miss it if you stopped.

M. Lubbers said...

Jonathan: I see the differentiation you're making. A legitimate comparison (which is what I think you do) is a good thing. Using the blog topic for a jumping-off point into one's own, unrelated posting is just annoying.

Emily: Hmmm, so is it a compliment that this is the only blog that you read? Or has this one scared you off others?;) Thanks for reading, and for the encouragement!