Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Annual Turkey Day Trek

Ah yes, the holiday traffic. I have a short temper on good days with idiots on the road, and today is going to be awful.

We're doing the drive from Cincinnati to Cleveland, through some of the most boring landscape in the continental U.S.--except for the highlight of Grandpa's Cheesebarn, of course. (Gifts! Souvenirs!)

In honor of the trek, I'd like to do a sporadic early holiday countdown:
  • 10 = number of times we'll be cut off by a car that refuses to signal, like if they pretend they're not wandering 2 feet in front of our bumper, we won't notice. The vehicular equivalent of a man whistling and staring at the sky while cutting in line at the cash register.
  • 9 = number of Hummers (1, 2 or 3) with vanity plates. Because it's not enough that you spent more than a 20% house down payment; you also have to prove that you have money left over to spend on frivolities like a license plate that declares "FLTHY RCH"
  • 7 = number of times I drift off during the drive, because being in a moving vehicle never fails to put me to sleep. It makes me feel like a 3-year-old, fighting to keep my eyes open. But if it makes the drive go faster, I guess I shouldn't complain.
  • 5 = number of times I'll see Spongebob Squarepants on TVs in the back of hi-tech vans. What happened to punching each other and staring? Kids these days.
  • 3 = number of times I'll admit to falling asleep during the drive.
  • 1 = number of nerves I'll have left when we finally arrive at my parents' house. It's a good thing I actually like my family.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Dad was holding his breath during the last one- he was afraid it wa going to be
1- the number of minutes it will take for my dad to piss me off!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the trip....somewhere about 45 minutes until I hit home I must zone out becaue I never remember that last chunk of the trip from Dayton to Cleveland. It is my "twilight zone" on the raod!