Friday, November 16, 2007

An Annoyance and a Friendly Reminder

I'm a wuss: I'll be the first to admit it. The problem is that I'm a pretty healthy person, for the most part. My diet is okay to somewhat healthy, I work out a lot, I get nearly enough sleep most days. My only vices are an occasional glass of red wine and Halloween Oreos.

You would think this is a good thing. And most of the time it is. My body and I have an understanding. I give it sufficient fuel, etc., and it chugs right along. I don't have any serious, chronic health problems and I don't get sick very often. Mostly I take my health for granted, because it's so reliable.

But of course, the problem arises on the rare occasions when I do get sick. When my body forgets about our agreement, and makes me miserable. I think that because I'm so used to being healthy, even a cold seems like more than a minor annoyance*. I get frustrated very easily when I can't do all the things I normally do. Like breathe. Or look at food and not feel nauseous. You know—the simple pleasures in life.

Can you tell I'm feeling a little under the weather today? I feel persecuted, unfairly made to suffer, and just plain miserable. But I'm sure as soon as this passes, I'll forget all about it and take my good health for granted once again. Because it's pretty hard to be grateful for the same thing every day, right? And truly appreciate it, when it's the norm.

Good thing I get sick every once in a while, so I can remember to appreciate my typical good fortune.


*BlogFriday word: Annoyance

5 comments:

Moryndia said...

I hope you feel better very soon.

Jonathan Beckett said...

I can relate to this post. I've been sick on and off for several weeks now. It's not fun any more.

Today I woke up with a horrible taste in my mouth, an even snottier nose, and a dry cough. Great.

Anonymous said...

EWwwwwww you lot can keep your filthy germys to yourself!

Being summer here n all, the only problem I seem to have is my endless-winter-cold-induced-stuffed-upedness has turned into my usual endless-summer-allergy-induced-stuffed-upedness. Neat!

Hope you feel better soon, M.

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks to all for the good wishes! I'm feeling better already. Unfortunately, I don't think my whiney personality will go away as quickly;)

Jonathan and Bren: Sorry to hear that you can identify with the frustrations of feeling sick. I hope you are both feeling better soon, too!

Amy said...

I'm going to chalk up your comment about Mrs. Mike D to temporary insanity brought on by illness.

What are the chances of you and Keith coming to the west side tomorrow night? Or do you have your writers' group again?