Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year's Resolutions To Come

Around this time of year, I usually review how I've done on the last year's resolutions and come up with some resolutions for the New* Year. I've done this for the past few years and I definitely like the accountability of it.

For me, the key to this endeavor is not to take my resolutions too seriously. I'd rather set high goals, knowing that I won't achieve all of them, then set low ones and stress out if I don't think I can reach them. For those of you who don't know me that well, I stress out a lot. All the time. Over stupid stuff. So I definitely don't need to set EXTRA goals so that I can have something else to stress about. Because I'm doing just fine in that category.

So far, I think I've done okay in the not-stressing department. I've achieved some of the goals that were most important to me, (get a house, improve my 5k race time, read 50 books a year) and other ones just didn't happen (spend time volunteering, read x number of classics).

This year, I'll again probably set some bigger, important goals, plus other goals that would be a real stretch to achieve, but that would give me a great sense of accomplishment. I need some more time to think about what exactly those goals will be, but I'll post some resolutions soon. There's my first goal.

*blogfriday word: New

No comments: