Friday, May 15, 2009

Not Very Fortunate

I got lunch from Tea House Noodles the other day (be forewarned that their graphics have sound effects, so you might not want to click the link at work if others sit close by). I really wanted the pad thai noodles with peanut sauce, but decided to try something healthier and get the noodles with miso broth and tofu. Big disappointment; it just wasn't very flavorful at all. So I know this means I'll order out from them again, sooner than I normally would, so I can satisfy my pad thai cravings.

But anyway, a fortune cookie comes with the meal. After setting aside the remainder of my bland noodles, I was looking forward to the tasty cookie, as well as the fortune. The crunch and sweetness didn't disappoint, but the fortune was ... not a fortune. At all. It said:
"A movie would be a great way to relax this weekend."
What?!? How is that a fortune? Plus, we're already going camping this weekend. You know nothing of my weekend plans, Fortune Cookie! Much less what I find relaxing. Maybe I would rather relax with a good book, or by cooking, or by running a marathon. (ha!) Or maybe I'm blind.

Maybe you should stop making assumptions about my lifestyle, and just tell me what is going to happen in the future! I don't care if it comes true or not; if it were very specific and it did come true, I would actually find that quite creepy. But no more of this banal advice. Give me a real fortune next time! And by next time, I mean Monday afternoon when I pick up some peanut pad thai for lunch .....

3 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

Your fortune cookie reminded me of a birthday card I bought my Mum once - "may the blue bird of happiness.... (inside) crap all over your birthday cake" :)

Amy said...

I call these "statement cookies," and I always feel cheated when I get one. Boo!

M. Lubbers said...

Jonathan: That is the kind of birthday card my family would enjoy! I'll have to see if I can find it in the US.

Amy: I like the phrase "statement cookie." That's much more apt than anything fortune related. I think I may have to use it in the future, but I'll mentally put a little registered symbol after it in your honor;)