Friday, May 08, 2009

A True Gapesnest

Earlier this week, I wanted to get a run in. But now I always feel guilty if I take Eleanor out in the jogging stroller. Beckett gets so excited when he sees me lace up my running shoes ... and then so crestfallen when Eleanor and I leave and lock him in the house behind us.

So I decided, what the heck? I might as well try taking both of them and see what happens. I don't need to get a run in today, so if it doesn't go well, I'll just turn around and head back home.

It was a multi-step process to get on the road. First, I let Beckett out into the backyard and tossed his leash and harness by the gate. Then I put Eleanor in the pack n' play while I steered the jogging stroller outside and down the steps. Next I locked the back door, strapped Eleanor into the jogging stroller, and wrangled the dog into his harness.

Then I had to decide what to do with the leash. I figured me carrying it was out, because there was a good chance of getting an arm ripped off because I'm holding onto the stroller with one hand, and Beckett takes off in the opposite direction after a squirrel, taking my leash arm with him. In the end, I looped it around the stroller frame, near the front wheel.

Overall, it went much better than I expected. There were times when Beckett got distracted, and tried to cross over in front of the stroller to the other side, which necessitated a lot of "Beckett! Get back here! .... No, over here!" and detangling of leash and wheel. But it didn't happen as often as I had thought it would.

There were also times when we were just jogging along, Beckett in front, the jogging stroller a foot or so behind, and me with one hand on the jogging stroller. It was a beautiful thing.

At least, that's what I thought. The looks I got from passersby and lunching construction workers or landscapers, though, were a bit more incredulous. So that's what it feels like to be a Gapesnest! And I loved every minute of it.

No comments: