Friday, September 14, 2007

A Sad Farewell to Fiona

I can't believe I haven't written about this yet, but I thought you should all know that Fiona (my Chrysler Neon) has moved on.

Last November, when she was stolen, I was devastated. I didn't get a chance to say good-bye! Then, miraculously, I got her back.

I had planned on driving her for many more years. But at her 100,000 mile check-up over the summer, I got bad news: the frame is severely rusted from so much salt over last winter. According to the mechanic, Fiona wouldn't make it through another winter.

"You can't tear the frame apart with your hands yet," he reassured me. "But it would come apart with a wrench, for sure."

Great.

So, since early summer, we've been saving money for a down payment and considering our options. We figured we'd get something used, that would last for many more years. We also hopefully wanted something a bit bigger than our two compact cars.

Finally, last week, we took the plunge. Thursday we looked around and found a 2003 Toyota Matrix that had okay mileage and a decent price. Friday morning I drove Fiona to work as usual. After work we drove Fiona out to the car dealership and left with the Matrix.

It was almost easier, in a way, when I didn't get a chance to say good-bye. I felt so terribly guilty for getting rid of her when, to this point, she's been a great car. And no matter how much I tell myself a car is an inanimate object, I can't help but think about the many good memories we "share." Or that I have, with that car.

As we drove off in the Matrix, I felt terrible for betraying Fiona after her years of faithful service. She was my first car. We've been together in Dayton, Cincinnati, and now Cleveland. Ahhh, the memories!

I know it had to be done. It was better to move on before I started having problems and was faced with pouring money into the car just to keep it running. I know we did the right thing.

But I'm still sad when I open the garage door and she's not there. I guess it'll just take some mourning time. The Matrix is a nice car. I know we'll be happy with it. But I still need some time to get over the loss of Fiona.

No comments: