Thursday, September 13, 2007

Writing Group Angst

My writing group meeting yesterday lasted almost 3 hours. Not because of an enlightening discussion on literary techniques, nor was it due to a heated conversation about one member's work. Most of the meeting was taken up with deciding whether or not to admit a new member.

I am the newest member of the group. So this whole process was new to me. For my "induction," I thought the process was relatively painless. I submitted some writing, attended a group, had my writing critiqued and also participated in the discussion about another writer's work, and was told, a week or so later, that I was in.

This time, it hasn't worked out like that. When the potential new member came to a session, the critique of her work went on, and on. And on. For whatever reason, the atmosphere felt tense and uncomfortable. Although there wasn't one glaring fault with the writer or her work, in the end (after hours of circular discussion) the group decided that it wasn't a good fit.

I think that this was the right decision, primarily because if we need hours of discussion, it's probably not a good idea. A small, mean part of me was also jubilant to realize I'd been accepted into a writing group that actually does, on occasion, decline to offer membership to applicants. (I'd like to think that was a very small part of me, however.)

This has been dragging on since July, I think, so mostly I'm just relieved that a decision has been made and it's all over and done with. Until another new member is proposed—which happened at the end of the meeting last night.

I agree with another group member who suggested that we "stop dating" for awhile, until we work through our current issues and get settled into a comfortable pattern. And usually, a relationship opportunity appears right when you're not looking for it. Although this is obviously a very different kind of relationship, all of last night's discussion and emotions made me even more glad to be very happily, very permanently, married.

2 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

Once upon a time I used to run one of the busiest writing communities on the internet - and vowed to never again after being exposed to the amount of free time some people are willing to devote to tear others to shreds.

It was scary.

Of course I am now running once again, but thankfully it hasn't become popular enough yet to generate the popularity competitions that used to exploded now and again in the old site.

M. Lubbers said...

Funny that you're hoping your blog doesn't become so popular—quite contrary to the norm!

Although I myself haven't been subjected to the hordes of critics with too much free time, I've see something of the phenomenon and understand your wish to avoid it. Here's hoping your blog avoids it this time around!