Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Surgery Stories

My mom's hip surgery reminds me of a few years ago, when I had an ACL reconstruction. The ACL reconstruction surgery is much less invasive, and easier to recuperate from. But it was still scary for me, and a big adjustment.

Although my husband and I were living together at the time, our current relationship status was "significant others." So because I wasn't a relative, he wasn't allowed to use medical time off work to take care of me. Instead, my parents each drove—separately—4 hours to come and take care of me that first week. If I remember correctly, my mom had the beginning of the week and my dad had the second half.

My mom had to deal with projectile vomit while I was taking the hardcore pain meds. (And Keith, too. Even though he couldn't get time off work, he still got to take care of me once he was home.) By the time Dad arrived, I was feeling a little bit more human. Instead, he got to take me for my first follow-up doctor's appointment.

We took my car; I think because it was easier for me to get into than his truck. It was wonderful to be out of the apartment and on the open road. My surgeon's office was only about 10 minutes' drive from my apartment, but even so I felt the sweet taste of freedom.

About halfway there, my dad asked how much gas was in the car. "It's starting to feel a little sluggish," he said.

I thought about it. "That's right, it is low on gas!" I confirmed. "I took it in for an oil change but didn't get gas because I knew I wouldn't be driving for a while, and figured I'd deal with it later."

I should probably also mention that I'd bought the car used, and the low gas indicator light had never worked. So you can tell by the gauge when you're running low, but don't get any indication of when you're REALLY low.

Apparently, Dad had just enough gas at this point to turn onto a side street and coast to a stop. He turned off the car and looked at me.

"Well, I guess one of us needs to run to a gas station," he said.

I smiled weakly. "Sorry," I said.

And off he went, in the midday summer heat, to buy a few gallons of gas and run back to the car carrying it, so we could get to my knee surgeon appointment. I sat in the car and watched birds making a nest in a chain link fence. It was a very idyllic, relaxing scene.

Mostly I thought about how lucky I was to have such wonderful parents to come and take care of me post-surgery, their grown daughter who lived hours away. Their daughter who ran her car out of gas, and my dad didn't even complain when he paid the price for my lack of foresight.

Every time I passed that side street from that point on, I smiled. And now I'm glad to be able to return a bit of the favor, and help my Mom while she's recovering from hip surgery. I'd rather not just a mile or two carrying a few gallons of gas, but if I have to I would do that, too. Because I know my parents would!

No comments: