Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Reader of Books

My original plan was to write a few blogs about my grandma on Monday and move on, but listening to the Diane Rehm show on NPR today reminded me of another one of my grandmother's qualities that needed to be mentioned.

Not only did my grandmother write, but she read. I always remember there being plenty of books at her house to read; she always said she remembered me as a child, curled up on the corner of the couch, reading, oblivious to the rest of the world. She usually preferred nonfiction, as least as far as I know.

At the funeral service, I was doing okay until the pastor spoke about his relationship with Grandma Stroh. It focused on the fact that when he knew her in her 90s, she was still reading. She would ask him what he knew about Eastern Mysticism or tell him about the book on pirates she was reading. That's when I lost it.

When I think of Grandma Stroh, I think of a Reader. To me, a reader is someone who wants to learn more about life. Who is passionate about making herself better through informed involvement in the world. It can be through fiction that awakens her emotions and causes her to re-examine events in her own life through a different lens.

Or it can be through nonfiction, which teaches him about actual events and people. To me nonfiction is a reminder that the world is always a large, unknowable, fascinating place. And each individual life is unique and fascinating, too. The more I read nonfiction, the more I come to believe that the truth really is stranger than fiction.

Like every English major, I've dreamed about having my own bookstore. But what would make it quirky (and probably a nightmare, but let's pretend for a bit), is that the books would be arranged by person. I would take the typical book categories: literary nonfiction, romance, science fiction, religion, etc., and shelve them according to the people closest to me that read these types of literature. Stephen King/horror books would be in the Keith section. Religion and spirituality would go in my sister Amy's section, while Erin's would hold inspirational and education. My mom would encompass mysteries, romances, and pretty much anything in the store that wasn't covered by others. If you're looking for science fiction or westerns, head to the Chucker aisle. (That would be my father, but I'd insist on calling it "Chucker.")

Anyway, point being, I want to be known as a Reader. I know sometimes perhaps when people say, "Oh, you like to read," they may imbue it with a negative connotation. But to me, being a reader is one of the highest compliments I can get. And if I can be a Reader like Grandma Stroh, even better. Just think—she had 30 years after retirement of uninterrupted reading!

On the radio the other day, I heard an author speaking about his latest work‐a nonfiction biography of Milton Hershey's life and work. I thought to myself that Grandma would enjoy that book. I think I might go out and pick it up this weekend. I'm busy with working full-time, keeping you—my demanding public—entertained;), and writing freelance. But I'll make time: I'm a Reader.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am a Reader.

I am not, however, a Dish Washer. Or a Vacuumer. Or a Laundry Doer. (As anyone who has had the misfortune of visiting my dorm room or apartment can attest.)

Anyhow, speaking of reading--

Megan:

Here's the URL of the site I was telling you about in the earlier e-mail. (Yes, I could've e-mailed it to you, but maybe other Gapesnest enthusiasts would also like to check it out.)

http://loganberrybooks.com/stump.html

Information from the Stump the Bookseller! page on the Loganberry Books site:

What is this?

Have you forgotten the title of your favorite children's book? This is a service to help solve your book mysteries.

Submit your memory here, and see if anyone else remembers your book memory, or better yet, knows the title and author! After all, it's easier to find the book when you know what it's called...

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks for the link, Amy! Just glancing through, I don't think I knew any of the books listed. But I guess that's the whole point, huh?