Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Good Day, Sunshine

I woke up the other morning in a really good mood. In the past I've been told that I'm a "morning person," which I think translates to "annoyingly cheerful before 10 a.m." But this was freakishly cheerful even for me.

It was instantaneous! As soon as I opened my eyes, I just felt right with the world. This does not happen. I actually wanted to get out of bed. I never want to get out of bed! Unless it's a Saturday and getting out of bed means rolling to the couch for a few hours, and then I'm cool with that.

Because it was first thing in the morning, it took me a while to realize what the cause of my freakish high spirits was. It was the sun! It's actually getting to where the sun is up before I get out of bed, and I'm am extremely happy about that.

As Keith and I tend to oversleep on a regular basis, there's a good chance that others of you, even those that live quite nearby, have not experienced this yet. Just give it a few weeks&mdashit's coming, I promise.

This euphoric experience made me long for spring flowers, warm evenings on the porch swing, and lemonade. Today it rained all day. When will I learn that I live in Ohio?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, lately I've been noticing this odd phenomenon called "daylight" in the mornings here as well.

It has the opposite effect on me, though: I get all freaked out because I think I've overslept and am late for work, and that there will be a message on my machine from Nathan Lane, wondering where I am.

It doesn't help matters any that the first thing I usually see is a clock radio that's set an hour ahead. I was too lazy to reset it in October ...

(Did I mention that it's across the room, on top of a tall dresser, and the buttons to reset the time are complicated and/or perhaps broken? But I like it because the display is HUGE and if I Costanza-squint my way down to 20/whatever, I can usually read those numbers, as opposed to the teeny numbers on the display of the CD/clock radio that's about a foot away from my head. If I don't have my glasses/contacts on, I can't even tell that there are any numbers even there, quite frankly--it's all a greenish blur.)

... and figured, Meh, I'll just remind myself that it's an hour fast. Well, that usually works out fine, except for when I'm not quite awake, and thus I manage to give myself little heart attacks every morning.

But hey, at least that gets the adrenaline flowing and makes it a little harder to drift off back to sleep, right? Although I usually manage to force myself anyhow.

Speaking of drifting off to sleep: back to proofreading the project that will not die: Year 3, Month 4. I'm thinking of having a little party for it's half-birthday in May. I'd better start rubber-stamping the invites now.