Thursday, March 02, 2006

Reality Extravaganza: The Apprentice

The Apprentice

I've never seen this show before tonight. My first reaction:
Trump is scary. And not a good actor. How did he become such a TV sensation?

At first I didn't understand why, if all of these contestants are already so accomplished, they want to go on the show. Haven't they proven they can be a success without embarrassing themselves on national TV? But, as the episode progressed, I saw how Trump lured them with promises of teaching the secrets of being a ridiculously, filthy rich success in business, and I can see how that would appeal to people.

I don't know if I would watch this show again. It kind of felt like work, except with ridiculously high stakes. I know that if I don't make the phone calls I was supposed to make one day, I'll just come up with an excuse and do them the next day. I won't get fired. No one will figure out what a slacker I am, or really care. As long as I keep up the appearance of being a hard-working peon, that's all that really matters.

And that's how I like it. I don't think I really want to "shine" or "excel." The energy and aggressiveness emanating from the contestants on this show made me tired. I watched it at 5:30 p.m. and then went to bed for the night. If you like neurotic egomaniacs who want to be billionaires by age 30, you'll like this show. If you're happy with your slacker ways, as I am, it might not appeal to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally hooked on the Apprentice. My favorite part of the latest episode was at the end. The contestants are leaving the boardroom after the firing, and Trump says something about Tarek--I forget exactly what--and the Russian dude goes, "Not for long," in this very threatening voice that perfectly matches his total Russian-mafia-hitman looks. Awesome.

Mostly I watch it to laugh at Trump. And then I read the recaps on Television without Pity to revel in the absurdity some more.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo over "The Apprentice." I saw the first epi of season 1 by accident and it was pretty good, so I kept watching. Season 2 sucked so bad that I couldn't be bothered by this show ever again. What irritates me the most is that these supposedly smart people can return to their careers after showing complete ineptitude at the simplest tasks--some done successfully by high school students everywhere--and total lack of self-awareness on national tv. Trump can cram it. He's a sexist pig.