Monday, March 13, 2006

It Felt Like a Monday

Didn't it feel like a Monday today? For those of you who may not live in the near vicinity, the weather was awful. I think the worst part about the gray, rainy day is that it was warm. This close to Spring, I'm itching for a chance to be outside and breathe fresh air. When it's nearly 70 out but with 200% humidity and thunder and lightning, it feels like I'm being taunted. We did open the windows for about a half-hour tonight, so at least the apartment got a smidge of new air.

Give it a few weeks, though, and I'll be overjoyed about thunderstorms and bad weather. Once I've become accustomed to warm weather, a day of storms feels like playing hooky. If it's warm and sunny, I should be outside running or walking, or making myself enjoy the sunshine. No matter if I'm tired or have a million things to do indoors.

So, at that point, a stormy day means I get free time from the demands that warm weather places on those of us who see too little of it. It frees me from the guilt of not enjoying it. I can happily curl up with a good book (for some reason, I always want a murder mystery on stormy days) and a mug of tea and enjoy the sound of rain lashing the windows. If I'm really lucky, maybe the power would go out overnight and my alarm clock would get turned off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had one of those stormy-sunny-wacky days. I went for a drizzle-jog after the gym. My flippies made their emergence from the closet this weekend, only to burrow away again for the snow we're getting today.

It was nice to go home and open the windows though.