Monday, March 06, 2006

Jon Hosts the Oscars

I love Jon Stewart. We actually watched the Oscars last night and enjoyed Jon Stewart's hosting very much. I'm not sure that the academy was ready for it, though. A lot of the humor that would have killed on The Daily Show fell flat at the Kodiak Theatre. (Come on, that bit about the difficulty of making Russell Crowe look like he'd been in a fight was funny shit!)

Funniest foreign speech a la Roberto Benigni goes to: the guy from March of the Penguins who said that, with all of the tuxedos, it was like filming the movie again.

HATED: Charlize Theron's dress. When she was presenting an award, we were afraid the enormous shoulder growth was going to attack her.

LOVED: Reese's dress. She's always so classy. And Keira looked gorgeous, as always. I have such a girl crush!

I am immensely pleased that Crash won Best Picture. In any instance, I tend to root for the underdog, or at least against the shoo-in. Plus, in an earlier post, I mentioned that I personally did not find Brokeback Mountain to be worth all of the hype. I will admit that it gives the viewer a lot to think about, as I have thought about it quite a bit since seeing it. But that can't change my initial impression, which was actually less than spectacularly impressed.

Crash, on the other hand, immediately blew my mind. It was a great, disturbing movie that I am really glad I saw. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see Munich before the Oscars, so I can't say where that one ranks, but of the other I would say I liked Crash the best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reese did look beautiful. (So did Ryan. Rowr.) I only watched the last hour or so, but I am happy I heard Reese's speech. She sounded so happy to win, and she was faboo in Walk the Line. Even if you're not a Johnny Cash fan, it is a great movie. She and Joaquin did all the singing and were awesome. They really made me believe that they were Johnny & June. RIP.

I didn't see any of the other movies. I am planning to rent Crash because I never got to it in the theater and I love Matt Dillon. As a rule, if a movie gets Oscar buzz, I generally don't find it interesting. Then again, I thought Team America was thought-provoking.

Anonymous said...

Num feles cepit tuam linguam, Megan? That's not like you.
Brian
brianmaguire@hotmail.com

Andy G. said...

I agree that Crash was a great movie, but I was still rooting for Brokeback. Crash was definately thought provoking for me, so I support the choice.

Andy

M. Lubbers said...

I didn't get to see Walk the Line either, so that's on the list. The never-ending list!

I am glad that the Brokeback music won. Just hearing bits of it during the Oscars brought back the emotions of the movie very strongly.