Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Reality Extravaganza: Amazing Race

The Amazing Race 9

I love this show. I tend to like the adventure/survival type reality show, and have watched "Survivor" for years. But "Amazing Race" is my favorite because, when I watch it, I feel like it's teams working together to win a competition; not people trying to make others lose.

In general, they don't play dirty. They are not out to mess with the other teams' heads or make anyone think they are the best people to win. They just have to not finish last in every round.

I suppose now would be a good time to mention the premise of the show. Twelve teams who have a previously existing relationship (the picture is of two best friends) start from somewhere in the U.S. and travel around the world in stages. At the end of every stage, the last team to arrive is eliminated, except for a few pre-determined non-elimination rounds.

I like the fact that the teams are based on pre-existing relationships, so you actually see how they interact with the people closest to them. Who usually navigates and who likes to drive. When one person starts reading the next clue and the other person rips it out of their hands--the kind of thing you would only do with loved ones. It seems much more revealing than someone playing a role in front of a bunch of strangers.

And have I mentioned the gnome? I know it's a cheesy sponsorship gimmick, but I still think he's adorable. Phil, the host, is pretty easy on the eyes too.

Plus, they face some actual elements of real life. I couldn't even count how many times a team is in the lead but loses it because 1) they can't find a taxi, 2) their flight is delayed, 3) they read the directions incorrectly, or 4) they miss a clue right in front of their face. Just last night on the first episode of the new season, items 2-4 occurred. There are also contrived challenges, but a lot of the challenge is just traveling in unfamiliar places and making smart decisions and being lucky.

If I were to be on any reality show, this is the one I would want. I'd like to think that Keith and I would be the perfect couple that everyone is rooting for, but I have my doubts that I could keep my churlishness to myself for that long. And my hair would probably look awful with all that traveling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil must have strained his eyebrow with the mega-pop at the start of TAR Family Ed. because he didn't do it this time. I love Phil's eyebrow pop.

I do think the teams do mess with the other teams' heads. They give misleading information. They try to sabotage bus, cab, plane rides, etc. There is dirty play involved.

I am so glad whiney-voiced guys are gone. Get rid of the glamazons and the nerds next, and I'll be in a happy place. And I'll be able to forget the Weavers ever existed.

M. Lubbers said...

I know what you mean about the sabotaging, but it's pretty lame. And it's not really encouraged. I mean, in shows like "Survivor", the setup practically necessitates that you backstab and lie and cheat. You can win TAR without resorting to those tactics, and when people do resort to those tactics, I don't think they're particularly successful.

Anonymous said...

I see your point. Rob and Amber used "Survivor"-like strategies on TAR and did really well though. I think it would be a boring show if everybody played nice. I'd employ Baaaahstaaan Rob strategies if ever I were on TAR.