Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Overheard at My Desk

So I thought for today's blog entry, I would try something that requires little thought or effort on my part. I wanted to do an "Overheard at My Desk" in homage to fabulous, useless sites like Overheard in New York and the off-shoots, Overheard in the Office and Overheard at the Beach (a summer addition).

But I don't hear anything. I knew the office was quiet, but I hadn't realized until I actually focused on it what a dearth of interesting conversations there is. I hear things like:
Supervisor: Have you finished all the filing yet?
Me: No.

Supervisor: Don't stamp the first page of the legal-looking documents.
Me: Okay.

So when I realized that recollecting my daily conversations actually became even more boring the second time, I thought maybe I could make up some "overheard comments." Like:

Girl: And then I was like, you have a monkey, don't you!
Gay Friend: Doesn't everybody who works in paper distribution have a monkey?

Geek #1: I'm so hungover right now.
Geek #2: But it's 2 o'clock on Tuesday afternoon. And you don't drink.
Geek #1: I know. But I was really high on life last night, and I'm paying for it now.

But it's just not as funny unless you know a real person said it and actually meant it. Whatever it may be. So maybe you should all just go and check out all the "Overheard at" sites. And keep checking them out while I'm on vacation.

Maybe I'll overhear something at the airport tomorrow. Or maybe I'll say something retarded to make someone else's day.

No comments: