Friday, July 07, 2006

Thank you, ladies and mortgage brokers...

In the past few weeks, as we filled out reams of house-related paperwork, a personality trait of mine came into sharp relief.

I feel the need, in somewhat awkward social situations, to be the entertainer. The hostess. The talk show interviewer, putting everyone at ease.

I think I've always done this at parties, in meetings, etc. But it became extremely obvious during the mortgage process when it was me, Keith, and the lender in a small office. Keith was signing paperwork like crazy, and the lender and I just kind of sat and looked around.

So I kicked into entertainer mode. I told stories about work, childhood, whatever seemed appropriate or at least tangentially related to the subject at hand. As Keith signed, I mentioned that, as a left-hander, I always end up with ink smeared along the side of my palm. I told somewhat amusing anecdotes about when Keith and I were looking at houses.

It was interesting, to hear myself talk and realize that I was obeying a compulsion that I couldn't control. If I had commanded myself to sit quietly and not make small talk or even do the little laugh that substitutes for conversation with strangers, I don't know if I could have done it.

Which reminds me: Did I ever tell you about the time ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a stately manor!

Too bad the totem pole isn't visible.