Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Big Move

Ahhhh! It feels so good to be back amongst virtual friends!

Since the Big Move Friday morning, we've been without Internet access and it's been traumatic. I'm used to spending 8 hrs a day with my gmail account open and waiting for any important/entertaining missives to arrive. We watched Fever Pitch on Saturday night and it drove me crazy that we couldn't turn to IMDB to find out whether Nick Hornby's original version was about soccer (it was) and if the game footage was from actual games (also true). We couldn't look up directions or store hours or the real name of Dr. Seuss, just for kicks. It was torture!

But I suppose there were a few other things to occupy my mind. Like unpacking all of our belongings and figuring out where to put them. And the little details, like finding all of the outlets in every room and working out exactly how I need to jiggle the key in the back door to get it loose. (I still haven't gotten the hang of that one.)

We spent most of the weekend being amazed that this beautiful house could possibly be ours. I think that it'll be a long while before I can believe that we're not just renting it. Nearly two years after our wedding, I'm still coming to grips with the fact that I'm old enough to get married. And now we have a house? It doesn't seem possible!

Once we get a few more boxes unpacked and our Internet hooked up, I think it will feel more like home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the move and the new house.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations indeed!

I hope you got the stuff with the furniture all settled -- we missed you last night. Dottie and Dave say hi.

If you must know, we had an awesome first half (tied for third, only two points off the lead) but then crashed and burned -- big time! -- in the second half. That's because he stuck the dreaded Useless Knowledge and Math & Science rounds in the second half. All that plus the standard Video Round and Missing Link spelled certain disaster for your intrepid correspondent and her cohorts. I think we ended up in the middle of the pack, and about 20 points out of first place.

We did, however, beat the dreaded Team 11. I think I jinxed them ahead of time. When I went up front to pay the entry fee, some other girl was in line too, and we were making small talk while we waited for the hostess to get back to her station.

--I said that we'd been having difficulty coming up with a team name, although things like Team 11 Sux! and We Hate Team 11! were quite popular suggestions.

--She's like, Hey now!

--And I smoothly covered with, Well, we're obviously jealous of your team's dominance!

--Then she revealed that they have a former Jeopardy! champion on their team.


Aha! That explains why they usually stomp all comers! But not tonight. They were down in the middle to low end of the list, even at halftime, and mysteriously left early before the final results were revealed. We celebrated anyhow. Beating them is almost like winning, except without the $287 or so that went to the first-place team.

Sigh. On the plus side, we did get table service from the hot bartender.

M. Lubbers said...

A Jeopardy champion, eh? That should be illegal! Sorry things went downhill in the second half, but the first half should give you hope that someday, when you get a perfect combination of rounds (no math and science or useless knowledge and the geography one is about big European cities) you will dominate! Down with team 11!

Anonymous said...

You know what category was curiously absent?

World Showcase!

Maybe it's on Permanent Hiatus? (tm Television without Pity)

One can only hope . . .