Thursday, February 22, 2007

Really? No pancakes?

I made an amazing discovery the other day. It all started with cornbread.

One night last week, we had chili and cornbread for dinner. The next afternoon, I was looking for a snack and remembered the leftover cornbread. When I was growing up, we always had cornbread as a side dish, served with syrup.

So I heated up a piece of leftover cornbread, and then tried to think where we keep our syrup. Does syrup have to be refrigerated? I didn't think so, but I checked the fridge just in case. Not there. I checked about the stove, in the pantry ... and then I was stumped. There's no where else we keep food!

I went back and checked all of those places again. And thought some more. And I checked one more time. It really wasn't anywhere.

Which is when I had to face the fact that we hadn't eaten any syrup-related food since we moved into our house at the end of June. No pancakes, or french toast, or waffles. Nothing! I'd like to pretend it's because we're such healthy eaters, but I'm pretty sure it has to more to do with the fact that we're lazy about actually making real breakfast. Scrambled eggs and toast is about as much effort as you can hope for in our house.

But a couple days later, we did go out and buy two kinds of syrup and pancake mix. So we're prepared, in case the urge to actually cook breakfast suddenly overcomes us in the next few months.

3 comments:

Amy said...

When we had our snow day (Was it only last week? Wow.), I made blueberry pancakes and sausage for breakfast. (Okay, it was 11 AM, but whatever.) I had plenty of syrup, but I couldn't get the screw-top cap off — it was glued shut. D'oh!

Solution? I microwaved a mug of water and then stuck the bottle updside-down in the hot water. That loosened the cap so I could get some Mrs. Butterworth-y goodness all over my Krusteaz pancakes (I know! Ew and Ew, on the names, right? But quite tasty all the same.) I felt like a genius. A well-fed genuis.

M. Lubbers said...

I'd like to confirm: you are a well-fed genius.

Amy said...

Wiat, are yuo maknig fun of my spelling, adn pointing out teh obviously ironic use of genius? If so: Ha. Good one.