Friday, May 11, 2007

Race Day: Part 2

Now that I'm nearly recuperated from the 10k in Cincinnati last weekend .... we have a 5k race tomorrow morning at the Cleveland Zoo.

Normally, we don't run races on back-to-back weekends. When we plan ahead for the summer, we try to get in one race/month. But we like to do the Flying Pig, and after signing up for that we realized that UMDF Run Wild for a Cure was the following weekend. Because the race benefits mitochondrial disorder research, and my sister has a mitochondrial disorder, we decided to do the race despite the timing.

It wouldn't be so bad, except I decided that I've been slacking on the weight-lifting lately, and really needed to get back on that. I did a lower body work-out Tuesday night .... and have been walking funny ever since. My legs are sooo sore. Much more sore than they were after race day last weekend.

I thought I was getting over it. By this morning, I figured most of the soreness should be gone. So Beckett and I ran a few miles to work out the last of the soreness.

Um yeah, that totally backfired. It's worse than ever! Is it possible my 5k time this weekend will be slower than my 10k last weekend? I guess we'll find out!

Maybe I just need to look at this race as laying the foundation for the rest of the summer. The baseline, as it were. So if it's really, really awful, there's no where to go but up!

No comments: