Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Writer's Block: Officially Ended

Life is funny sometimes. I met a Cleveland person on the boards over at Woxy a few months ago. We actually even met in person when Woxy 2.0 went silent last fall. A month or so ago, it came up that we're both writers. She casually mentioned that her writers' group is looking for new members, and asked me if I'd be interested.

I've never really been part of a writers' group before, but they always sound like a good idea. Like-minded, creative individuals, coming together to improve each others' work and also give encouragement. Plus, if you're in a writers' group, doesn't that automatically make you a real writer? For me, that distinction can be a little fuzzy at times. Along the lines of "If a tree falls in the forest....", if I write but no one ever reads it, does that make me a writer?

I said I'd love to join and sent off a piece for their consideration. My Internet buddy made it clear, in the nicest way possible, that you're not "in" just because you're interested. They have to like your work and you have to mesh with the group's personalities.

So last Wednesday, the group + me gathered at one of the members' houses. I thought it went really well. I spoke some, but hopefully wasn't overbearing on my first time. I handled the criticisms of my piece with dignity, I thought. But even better was hearing them talk about the parts that they liked. They said my writing had style and tone! Who knew?!?

After the meeting, I knew I definitely wanted to be in the group. But I had to wait until yesterday to get the official invitation. I'm in!

Hopefully, joining this writers' group will do for me all the things I've never managed to do on my own. Be motivated, write regularly, actually revise my pieces and submit them places. And think of myself as a real writer.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congrats!

I've never been part of a writers' group either — I read a few short stories once for someone who was. (Do you remember Jackie from CFL? Was she there when you were?)

Anyhow, good luck with it.