Friday, May 04, 2007

Wish me luck!

In less than 24 hours, I'll be a very happy person. But at 8 o'clock in the morning tomorrow, I'll be pretty miserable.

Keith and I are headed down to Cincinnati tonight for the Flying Pig Marathon. I'm running the 10k* event tomorrow morning, and on Sunday morning Keith's running the half-marathon and my mother-in-law Karen is running the whole enchilada.

I'm pretty nervous. I can count on one hand the number of times I ran December through February, and that was usually only to get the door when the pizza delivery guy showed up. So even though I ran a 10k on Thanksgiving, come March it was like starting from scratch.

I think I've done okay in my training. Last week I ran 6.5 miles, which is actually longer than the race, so I know that in theory I should be able to go the distance without tragically expiring or exploding into flames. But Cincinnati has hills. Lots of them. And bridges, which I like to refer to as "my nemesis." The bridges get me every time.

Did you know that large bridges typically go up in the middle, so you spend half your time on the bridge on an incline? I didn't know that ... until I started running over them. Then it became painfully apparent.

But other than the hills, and the bridges, and all those miles ... I should be just fine. Wish me luck! And on Sunday, 6:30am, send your good thoughts to Keith and Karen!

* Quick Running Distance Primer
10k = 6.2 miles
half-marathon = 13.1 miles
whole enchilada = marathon = 26.2 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Run! Run like the wind! Good luck to you all!

Unknown said...

Good luck.