Friday, June 08, 2007

Room for Resting

Two days in a row now, this lady has completely freaked me out.

In my normal routine, I head out to lunch about 12:30. I stop by the restroom on my way to the lunchroom. After diligently washing my hands, I go to eat lunch.

But for the past two days, I open to door to the restroom and there's a woman right there, apparently passed out on the couch. (To clarify, the door opens on a small sitting area, separated from the toilet stalls and sinks by a wall partition.) I have several problems with this:
  1. Obviously, she can't really be dead to the world. I mean, the door opens noisily about 2 feet from her, if that, and people must be constantly going in and out. So she's just pretending to be asleep.
  2. Who actually rests in a restroom?!? I don't actually find it to be a very relaxing place, even with a couch and sitting area. You take care of business and get out of there.
It's just very alarming to open the door, your mind on other things, and to have this dead body a few feet away. If she's still there next week, it might be worth walking to another restroom in the building. I don't think my heart can keep taking the shock of finding a person resting right there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I worked at Ohio Savings ops in the main building, our ladies' room had couches. Some women actually sat on them and ate their lunch in there!
One of the guys from our department became aware of them and expressed jealousy that the mens' room did not have couches and also wondered who would go to the bathroom to relax.
We tried to explain that they were there for nursing moms to pump, but there weren't any nursing moms there at the time to prove it.

M. Lubbers said...

Wow. With all the women's restrooms I've been in that had a seating area ... that explanation never occurred to me. But it makes so much sense!

And that lady was back again yesterday. She hadn't been there for a few days, and then yesterday I open the door and almost had a heart attack again. So annoying!

Mrs. Gipson said...

LOl this is actually funny but I totally feel where you are coming from. I must say I am not one who finds eating lunch in the restroom , ok. But to each his/her own I guess. As for the lady resting in the ladies room well she must be REALLY tired because you are right Megan, there's way to much going on in there to sleep peacefully. Kudos to the "bathroom rest lady" who has conquered this quest--lol