Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today is Keith's and my 5-year wedding anniversary. I can't believe it's been 5 years already!

On the other hand, when I said that to Keith, he pointed out that there've been some changes since September 2004, namely called Beckett and Gomez and Eleanor.

We actually celebrated our anniversary last weekend. We dropped Eleanor off at my parents' for *gulp* her first night away from us. I had a hard time leaving, but once we were off I was fine. We both went for a run in the Metroparks (at the same time!) and then went to check in at a local B&B. It's actually the same B&B where we stayed on our wedding night. However, that night we checked in at about 11:30pm, fell into bed, and woke up around 4:00am the next morning to catch our flight to Mexico for the honeymoon. We didn't eat anything or enjoy the "Victorian charm," and have always said that we wanted to go back.

This time, we did practically nothing but hang out in the room. I took a long, hot bubble bath. We both napped, read books in silence, watched some TV. We went out for a fabulous dinner of Mexican food and stuffed ourselves to the gills. We went back to the room, started a movie, and took a break to walk a few minutes down the road to get frozen custard for dessert.

I was also very excited to sleep in on Sunday. Keith pointed out that we were only sleeping in until 8:30, to make our 9:00 scheduled breakfast time. On Saturday, Eleanor had actually let us sleep until a bit after 8, so our big "long lie" on Sunday wouldn't be much later. But I protested that it would feel completely different; we would KNOW that, barring a major catastrophe, we could sleep until 8:30am. And being secure in that knowledge made all the difference in the world.

Of course we were happy and excited to see Eleanor after a night away. But I would be lying if I said I was thinking about her every second we were gone. Instead, most of the time I was thinking about her father, and how much I still enjoy spending time with him after being married for 5 years. (And dating for 7 years before that.) I'm looking forward to what the next 5 years will bring .... maybe for our 10-year anniversary, we'll spend TWO nights away from home!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a really nice way to celebrate your anniversary. :)

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks, Jenn! We really enjoyed it.