Thursday, September 24, 2009

Is It Really That Hard? Hubcaps

The Matrix lost a hubcap a few weeks back. Considering the state of the potholes in this city (they're littered with, at times, up to several feet of road—just disgraceful!), it's a surprise that it took this long. But we have also tarried in getting the hubcap replaced, and this is why.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to replace just one hubcap. Do they really think that all 4 fall off at once? Are you telling me that NO ONE ELSE replaces hubcaps that fall off; everyone is trading up to fancy rims and spinners and whatnot? Keith tried to find just one replacement hubcap online (the repository of everything, on sale for cheap with free shipping), and the price was much too high to justify it. Instead, I will end up going to a local auto parts store and buying a set of 4 new hubcaps.

And what am I supposed to do with the three perfectly good hubcaps that I will now be discarding? It's just so wasteful. And perhaps a bit wanton.

Last weekend, in the Costco parking lot, we saw a Matrix that had only one hubcap. Keith suggested we stake out the car and offer to buy the one hubcap off the hapless owner for $10; the owner could make some money, and we would still be putting our 3 good hubcaps to use.

Maybe we need some sort of online hubcap exchange. I just tried googling the phrase "online hubcap exchange" and didn't find anywhere that both offered 1) the right hubcaps and 2) proper American English. So I guess I will stick with going to the store and buying all new ones.

But is it really that hard to just replace one?!?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I sense a Web 2.0 money-making opportunity here!

You two should develop an iPhone app for hubcap swapping  . . .

Stacey said...

We used to stop at a place on our way to Traverse City, MI that only sold hubcaps (mostly used) - genius! You would tell them the make and model of your car and they would emerge from the back room with a matching hubcap. Stopped by that place a few times.

Check Ebay?!

cat said...

Have you tried calling around to junk yards? I know it sounds weird, but that's how I got one replacement for my Sunfire when the rim cracked. Call me if you need some recommendations.

M. Lubbers said...

Amy: I don't think I'm quite passionate enough about hubcaps to take you up on that opportunity;)

Thanks for the advice about where to get a single hubcap. I think that tomorrow I'm going to try and stop by Hubcap Heaven's Eastside location and see what they have .... I couldn't find them on my own, however. I broke down and went to an auto parts store and the worker there told me to go to Hubcap Heaven for a better deal. That's good, honest service!