Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Living in Fear

We are now moved up to Cleveland and tucked away into the upstairs' bedroom of my parents' house. Coincidentally, my very same bedroom in the same house where my childhood was spent, from 2nd grade onwards.

You and I both know that this is only temporary, but it's still a little weird to move back home with your husband and share a bathroom and refrigerator with your parents. Twice now I've gone to the grocery store with my mom, and I'm living in fear that I'll run into someone. Anyone.

I enjoyed high school, and have many good friend from that era with whom I am still in close contact. (Perhaps some of you are reading this right now? Feel free to back me up.)

None of them live in the old hometown. 96% of them don't even live in the great Cleveland metropolitan area. This means that, if I were to run into someone while in the store or walking the dog, I will not want to talk to them. And I don't want to admit that I moved back in with my parents. I kind of want to carry around the signed contract on our house, so I can wave around irrefutable proof that this is just a temporary regression to childhood.

The first time I went to the store with my mom, she thanked me for the help and the cashier gently chided, "Well, don't get used to it. She'll only be home for a week!" Because obviously I'm in college. This is the same town where I get carded at the library for trying to access the Internet on their computers; if you're under 16, you need a parent's permission (I just turned 28). As soon as I cross over into my hometown, it feels like I lose a decade of experience and independent living.

Maybe I should just embrace it. Get a job at the movie theatre where I worked in high school and sit around wondering what I'm going to do for the rest of my life. But this time with a glass of wine instead of Coke.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you work at the movies, can you get us free passes? free popcorn? anything?

I have a similar running-into-people problem when I'm in Akron for the weekends. But, like the Monopoly board, I get to say Just Visiting. Maybe you can try that.

Anyhow, glad to hear that the move went well. We need to find a good time for adult beverages so I can get the full scoop. However, I have a ton of OU alumni association and freelance stuff (Hmm. I might have a job op for you...) to work on, so this weekend is out. Next week seems open, but I don't know what Cathy's up to. She's either reading this now or will read it shortly, so maybe she'll chime in.

Anonymous said...

When I was 28, I still lived at home but mostly to save money for the wedding that never happened. Just flash your wedding ring and mention how you can't wait for your house to be ready.

I wouldn't get too worked up about getting carded at the library. A clerk at Victoria's Secret thought I was my little (then-18, so I was 28) sister's mom. Later that night I was carded buying cigarettes. So go fig.

Anyhoo. This time of year is hard to plan weekends far ahead because of my Saturday job. Call me when u want to do something and I'll see if I'm free.

jeremy said...

dog?

M. Lubbers said...

I think I've decided against a job at the movie theatre. I don't think I could handle getting asked on a daily basis if I've decided where I want to attend college and what my major will be.

I seem to have a lot of friends who are constantly told they look significantly younger than their actual age. What's up with that? Is it because the Baby Boomers are getting older? Or because we've been using sunscreen our entire lives, and have lost the respect that significant sun exposure brings?

Jeremy: the dog is my parent's, not mine:( But we're enjoying having her around while we're here!