Thursday, April 27, 2006

My Preference for Crosswords

I know that Sudoku is the thing, now. My whole family has switched from crossword puzzles to Sudoku. At any point in time, you can probably find 5 Sudoku books lying around my parents' house. But I'm holding out, and holding on to my crosswords.

Why don't I like Sudoku? Partly it's because I'm stubborn, and I don't want to follow the trend. Which is just as shallow as being trendy is, I know, but I can't help it.

But, after devoting entirely too much time to considering this conundrum, I've decided there's a bigger reason. Although I've always been okay at math, I prefer the open-endedness of language to the absolute certainty of math. With the crossword clues, they could mean several different things. It feels like my brain is working harder to discover nuance and fit the possible pieces together.

I know that Sudoku is hard. I have been called in as reinforcements on one or two occasions. I'm not saying that people prefer Sudoku because it's easier. (Even I'm not that much of a crossword snob;) I'm just saying that I prefer the challenge of a crossword with words, instead of the sharp delineation of numbers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just admit it. Math is better than Language. It is universal.

:)

Anonymous said...

i prefer to steer clear of all math, english, science and pretty much anything that requires thinking other than, "is it a 9-iron or a wedge from here?"

Anonymous said...

Math speaks of definitized exact amounts and by this implies integrity.
Words conjure images of the door to door salesman. All words no substance.

Anonymous said...

Crosswords provide you with interesting tidbits of knowledge that may come in handy during Pub Quiz.

I don't like doing "serious" crosswords, like the New York Times, though. I prefer the EZ pop culture brain candy offered in the newspaper's weekly television schedule or in TV Guide.

Related Links

Book I liked:
Word Freak : Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive ScrabblePlayers
by Stefan Fatsis

Movie I want to see:
Wordplay

Anonymous said...

Oh wait. I got my nerdy pursuits mixed up.

I meant to link to

Crossworld: One Man's Journey into America's Crossword Cbsession
by Marc Romano.

But the Scrabble book is good too.

M. Lubbers said...

"Door to door salesman"? Ouch!

I know, I know, Math is the universal language. Blah blah blah. But its lack of ambiguity is exactly why I prefer the English language.

The move Wordplay does sound very interesting. I'll have to check out those books.