Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Suggestion Box

In response to yesterday's self-congratulatory post, Bob left a comment suggesting I post about hating it when people suggest topics. The many layers of irony in the fact that I'm now writing a post based on Bob's suggestion is enough to make my head explode.

I actually don't mind it when people suggest topics. Sometimes I'm stumped. Sometimes, my brain don't work so good. Sometimes, I'd rather have someone else come up with the ideas. You be the "idea person" and I'll be the grunt who actually writes about this fabulous concept.

It does bother, I'll admit, when people generously give me ideas ... and then tell me exactly how to write about it, though. The conversation goes something like this:
Friend: "Hey! I know what you should write about. You should write about cheesy Christmas movies."
Me: "That's a great idea! I think I'll just do that."
Friend: "Yeah, it would be great! And you could even do a countdown of the best/worst Christmas cheese. Maybe you should even call the entry 'Christmas cheese' ... and you can talk about the best-known quotes from those movies ... maybe you should even do a comparison of the animated movies vs. live action. There's a lot there, you know."
[long pause]
Me: "Thanks. I'll think about it."

I'm always open to ideas. But if you actually outline the whole entry and have lots of specific details that should be included ... then get your own damn blog!

p.s. Thanks for the idea, Bob:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Wow! A year- I ran out of things to say in 3 months. Hope you keep it going.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hee hee.

You could write a blog about Christmas music. But not just any Christmas music. You could compile lists of the weirdest Christmas compilations ever. Like the Vandals' Christmas with the Vandals, and Twisted Sister's Twisted Christmas. YOu could discuss crooners who butcher classics, like Jessica Simpson's strip-club worthy "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

Or I could not be facetious and post comments like this to be funny.

Amy said...

Or you could cross-post to the Akron Beacon Journal pop culture writer who is doing the oddball Xmas muzuk rundown:
Christmas Song Time (revised)