Thursday, January 25, 2007

Irony, thy name is vanity plates

The roads were a little snowy this morning, so I left a bit early for work. By "early" I mean "on time." I always say I leave for work at 7:30, but can probably count on one hand the number of times that has actually happened since I got my car back.

But this morning, I was actually backing down the driveway at 7:30 sharp. And it's a good thing, too, because otherwise I would never have witnessed yet another incident of vanity plate absurdity.

Today, the car in front of me was a Honda Accord. A nice car, but not exactly a high-end, luxury vehicle. This was no Eddie Bauer edition Hummer. It was a newish, solid Honda Accord. It was not the type of car that should have the vanity plate, "No 1 B4Me", but it did anyway.

I was behind this car for probably 5-10 minutes—the majority of my drive. Through 3 traffic lights, at least. And the very best part .... he/she was the slowest driver ever! At every light, there was an entire car length in front of the Accord, and when the light turned green it took the driver an extraordinarily long amount of time to creep forward and accelerate to an astonishing 25mph.

What made this person pick this particular vanity plate? Maybe no one comes before you in your mind, but on the road ... you're at the back of the line.

No comments: