Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Opening Doors

Speaking of things that drive me crazy at work ....

This morning, as I walked from the parking lot to my desk, I realized that I have a total of 6 doors I have to open along the way. Six doors! Doesn't that seem a bit excessive?

The reason it was particularly apparent to me today was that someone else had arrived at the outside door (otherwise known as Door #1) just before me. I don't know him, although I've seen him around and I'm sure he's a very nice guy. But I was running late, not in the best of moods, and didn't really feel like making small talk.

He didn't either, which was good. He opened Door #1, waited to let me through first, and we walked in companionable silence to Door #2. But here's the thing: there's etiquette involved in 2 strangers arriving at one door. Since I'm a woman, do I wait for him to open it? If I'm there first, do I open it and let him walk through? Or do I just open it myself, go through, and hold it open behind me?

It was a quandry, and it was repeated several more times in the next few minutes. Luckily, he peeled off at Door #4, so at least the last two doors there was no question of who would go through first: my ego, then me!

No comments: