Monday, August 28, 2006

Croc-mania

Okay, what's up with these shoes? And why do I know they're called Crocs? I don't want to know their name, and I never want to see another pair again.

They're everywhere. We saw people wearing them while hiking (through snow) in Glacier National Park. We saw them when watching the Boston Pops at Blossom outdoor amphitheatre in Cleveland the other weekend. I shudder to think of how many pairs I might see at Cedar Point.

Can they really be so comfortable that people throw all sense of fashion to the wind and wear these clunky plastic shoes everywhere? I can definitely understand the argument about wearing them at work for nurses, teachers, etc.—people who are on their feet all day. Wear them to work! I don't care.

But the only time I've seen them is at social functions. I'm not saying that everyone needs to be wearing stiletto heels or anything ... but a nice-looking pair of flats or mules, maybe? Is that too much to ask? Well, how about some Skechers, then? Rumor has it you can be comfortable and fashionable at the very same time.

This picture is actually from The Superficial, and it's of Jared Leto out on the town. I get the feeling he thinks they're so ugly they're cool. But I'm not buying it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I made a comment and my computer ate it. So you get this instead since I can't recall the exact wording.

I hate those (I refuse to dignify them as shoes) feet coverings. They are so gross. I've been to the ER and had nurses in clogs take care of me, which I felt was gross. Why do food service workers have to wear closed shoes, but medical personnel can have their stinkies out in the open? My sis is a nurse and prefers to wear running shoes to work. (Separate from her actual running shoes.)

Anyway, I hope the trend dies over the winter, that UGGs cease to exist, and all will be right with the universe.

Amy said...

I heartily agree that those "shoes" are an abomination and should disappear from the face of the earth.

A few weeks ago I was at the mall with my cousin (she's 9), and we went past a giant display of them in Payless. Not only were they that odd shape, with the ventilation holes or whatever, and made from molded plastic, but they were also this horrible melted rainbow color. (Like, remember Superman ice cream? All those pastels, bleeding together. My eyes, my eyes!)

Anyhow, I'm all Ewww! Look away!

And she's all, Oh, all my friends have those. They're cool.

Ick. Welcome to your future, America.

M. Lubbers said...

Cat: I feel your pain. Blogger was being really weird yesterday. It took me awhile to get my comments posted, too.

Croc-haters, unite! I can't believe they're considered cool, even by the tweens. What is this world coming to?