Friday, July 20, 2007

The End of Harry?

Even if you're not a fan, it's hard to avoid hearing about how the last Harry Potter book comes out tonight at midnight.

I am most definitely a Harry Potter fan. I think I started reading about when Book 4 came out--ever since then, it's been hard to wait for the latest books to be published. But of course, the wait for Book 7 has been bittersweet. And it will all be ending shortly.

I may have to wait a bit longer, because I ordered the Adult Edition from amazon.co.uk. But it will arrive soon, and I'm torn. I don't want to read it right away, because I want to make the anticipation last as long as possible. I keep saying I'll re-read the first 6 books before I read 7 ... but I haven't started that yet, so once the new one arrives the temptation might be too great.

But I'm also quite swayed by the argument that Harry Potter is currently a cultural phenomenon because we're all readers waiting to find out what happens. Once that's gone and we all know, it'll change. I think that's true to some extent, and that makes me feel like I should really be a part of it and read it as soon as the book comes out, when the rest of the world does.

So maybe I should read it right away and go to the party and participate in the Potter festivities, because I have the opportunity to and my children won't. A friend is judging a costume contest at a small local bookstore, so we'll probably head over there. My Mom had The Beatles, and I have a book party for Harry Potter. Such memories!

Plus, if I wait to read it, there's a very good chance that I'll find out what happens. Who dies?!? I don't want to know that in advance. But how can I avoid it? Stay off the Internets? That just won't happen.

Or maybe it should .... I have been pretty terrible about blogging lately. Maybe A Right Gapesnest will dark for a while, while I try to maintain the illusion that the wizarding world of Harry Potter is real, and I'm not a muggle after all.

4 comments:

Amy said...

One of the pop culture reporters at the Akron Beacon Journal had a blog entry the other day about wanting to remain in a cone of silence in re: the ending of Book 7. Cathy helpfully told me to avoid the Web sites of the New York Times and [some other paper whose name I forget at the moment] if I didn't want to be spoiled about the ending of the series.

I'm going to read the last book now -- well, tomorrow, whatever. Rereading the series could be interesting once you know how it all ends -- look for clues and character development over the series. No? Not buying it? Well, just thought I'd throw it out there.

M. Lubbers said...

Definite cone of silence. And nope--not buying it. Because it's all different once I know the end. I'd rather re-read now, while still wondering how it's all going to turn out.

Amy said...

On the cone-of-silence tip:

JK Rowling Mad at Media

Michiko Kakutani's "to hell with the marketing inspired embargo" advance review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has drawn the ire of author J.K. Rowling who fumed: "I am staggered that some American newspapers have decided to publish purported spoilers in the form of reviews in complete disregard of the wishes of literally millions of readers, particularly children". Maybe some Manhattan kids wake up dreaming of reading NYT book reviews but for the rest of childrendom we think the secret may still be safe. As for the rebellious Kakutani, we'd always thought of her more as a Hermione than a Harry.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to run out, read the last chapter, and work portions of it into my daily conversations! hahahahaha!!!!


Or, not, because I can't be bothered. But I hope you guys enjoy your finale. I will not be able to spoil it, so I'm pretty safe to talk to without you prefacing me.