Thursday, July 12, 2007

No Need for Novocain

I had a dentist appointment the other day. The dentist is a really nice guy--coincidentally, also the husband of my boss. It was kinda a risky move, going to him, but I think it worked out for the best. He really is good at what he does, and my boss has definite proof that, when I say I have a dentist appointment, it's true.

I had gotten the semi-annual check-up a few weeks ago, but had to go back and get some indents at the tops of my teeth filled in/smoothed over. I won't get into the dental mechanics, but pretty much I clench my teeth a LOT and that's made some of the enamel break off at the tops of a few of my teeth, near the gumline. Because the uneven surface could gather germs / cause decay, he wanted to fill it all in and smooth it over.

He commended me on taking excellent care of my teeth. (Anyone who needs some pointers, read the comments on this post. My former co-worker's tip about flossing just the week before your visit has worked like a charm!) He said they were in such good shape that he didn't even need to clean them before the procedure. In fact, it would be such a simple procedure that I wouldn't even need Novocain.

If your dentist every tells you that you don't need Novocain, in my experience, you should politely disagree with him. I didn't. I figured no big deal. By the time it was painful enough that I decided I REALLY wanted some numbing action, it was too late. I don't think he noticed the grimace of pain on my face as I tried to tough it out.

I didn't cry at least, which is something. But next time you're at the dentist's, TAKE the Novocain. I know I will.

No comments: