Thursday, July 19, 2007

Good Web Design

Whew! After that last post, I'll keep this one short.

Keith and I have been hard at work on our web design/development business, and it should be ready to officially "launch" soon.

I think one of the areas that--how shall I put it?--offers me the greatest growth opportunity in terms of knowledge and skill. (aka my weak point) is web design. So I've been reading up on it, experimenting, and also spending a lot of time looking at other websites to see what works and what doesn't. The majority of my design experience is in print, so it's been challenging/interesting to learn how to apply that to the web, and also finding out what doesn't translate.

I was just wondering: In your opinion, what makes a website attractive or professional and why? What are some examples of your favorite site designs? What are the worst designs?
* I know the image doesn't have a lot to do with this topic, exactly. But when I searched in Microsoft Word on "design," the results were all sorts of cool, abstract images. This was one of my favorites.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Completely unrelated to your actual question:
You know, those images with the vines and leaves and curlicues and whatnot have been really big in a lot of ad campaigns, CD covers, and stuff in the past few years. I like it, but I'm always curious about how the artist decides what to put where. I just found a rubber stamp set that contains basic elements so you can design your own (What do you even call that? The stamp set is called "Flourish" so I guess I'll say that.) flourishes. I'm going to experiment with it over the weekend -- most of my stamping stuff is down at my parents' house, taking over the entire dining room table, most of the chairs, and about 70 percent of the counter between the kitchen and dining room.

On topic:
I'm not sure I have anything to say ... yet. Further bulletins as events warrant.

M. Lubbers said...

Unrelated, but interesting. I had never even thought about the creation of those "flourish designs", shall we call them? I'll be interested to hear how your attempts turn out.

Amy said...

That's me: Thinking of things no one else has even thought about, all in an attempt to avoid doing any actual work.