Thursday, October 11, 2007

Five-Fingered Idioms

I think that yesterday was the low-point in my recovery. Or at least I hope so. The day of the injury I got by first on adrenaline, and then spent the rest of the day lying around feeling sorry for myself. Then yesterday I worked a full day. Doing a little typing or answering the phone didn't hurt too much, but after 8 accumulated hours of hand use, I was in pain and ready for a break.

Luckily, I have the best pets in the entire world. I got home and took a nap on the couch. The dog slept behind the crook of my knees, and the cat curled up in front of my stomach. It was heaven.

Today I'm feeling marginally better. Yesterday I wasn't sure if I could make it through a whole day of work, and today it's already past noon and I'm feeling good, so hopefully that means I'm on the mend. I go back for a check-up next Tuesday, so I think there's a good chance I'll have the splint off before my brother-in-law's wedding, which would be a definite plus.

Since hurting my hands, I've spent a lot of idle moments thinking about all of the hand/finger-related sayings we use that now have a unique meaning for me in my appendage-maimed state. Things like:
  • Keep your fingers crossed!
  • Five-finger discount (for me, would that be less than 100% off, since my fingers are at less than full capacity?)
  • I know ___ like the back of my hand
  • I have ___ in the palm of my hand (not a place you'd want to be at the moment)
Feel free to suggest any other relevant and/or irreverent phrases.

5 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

She can twist me around her little finger. (most women, in my case)

M. Lubbers said...

Well-played, Jonathan! Especially appropriate, since my little finger is the broken one.

Anonymous said...

I know I've got one somewhere but I can't quite put my finger on it.... Nope it's gone from the tip of my tongue and slipped straight through my fingers. I reckon that's your fault though, so I'll point the finger at you. Hands down you beat us all by keeping your finger on the pulse but don't you find yourself feeling all fingers and thumbs sometimes?

;)

Source

Hope yer run goes well this weekend

M. Lubbers said...

Wow, Bren. Very impressive indeed! Even if you looked them up, that still shows initiative;)

Two thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

ROFL yeah... it was kinda cheaty, but the interweb has always been my friend in that respect - I'm a research nut!!