Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Little Frivolity: Dancing with the Stars

Okay, enough about the running! I can talk about other things, I swear;)

I'm very excited that "Dancing with the Stars" is back! It's just such a fun show. I know they have a UK version, too. Is there one that airs in New Zealand, Bren? Otherwise, this post won't make a whole lot of sense to you. Sorry!

This season my favorite is Helio, the racecar driver (shown mid-jive with dance partner Julianne). I didn't know anything about him before the show, but he's a great dancer and he always looks like he's having such a fantastic time.

The show always makes me wish we had more time/money to take dance lessons and, well, just get out and dance! At first I hated to go out on weeknights because the dog was locked in his crate for hours at a time. It was hard to justify that to myself just so I could go dancing. But now that he is free to run around while we're gone, we'll have to try and get out a little more often.

Although we know some swing-dancing, I'd love to learn more complicated moves. I'd also like to learn more ballroom like the tango, the mambo, etc. Plus, it will be a great activity for the winter, when I'm not running so much looking for indoor entertainment.

4 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

The UK was the original one actually. As per usual they felt the need to rename it for the American market.

I notice they have also renamed "Northern Lights" to "The Golden Compass" for some unknown reason - just as they did "The Philosophers Stone" to "The Sorcerers Stone".

I'll go climb back under my rock now.

I do like watching those dancing shows sometimes though. Great to see people trying - even if they know they're not the best in the world...

Anonymous said...

Yup! Sure do...

We got it after Australia (who I assume bought it from the UK). Not really my kinda thing though - but that's mostly because the host, Jason Gunn is a total nonce. Seems to be a huge ratings hit here though... probably amongst more sensible and er... "high acheiver" type people than I!

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of partial to Jennie Garth just because of 90210, the same reason I rooted for Ian last season. I also like Cameron Matheson because I loved him on AMC back in the days I actually watched it. But Helio surprised me, and now I'm also quietly rooting for him. I can only catch it when I remember to look it up online because of my class schedule. :(

M. Lubbers said...

So Dancing with the Stars is taking over the world, eh? I like the UK title "Strictly Come Dancing," but I can understand why they thought it wouldn't be a big hit here.

The hosts of the US version are pretty bad, too. We actually refuse to watch the show live because there's so much filler material—especially in the results show. If we DVR it and watch later, a 2-hr episode lasts a mere 30 minutes or so!;)

I thought I would like Jennie because of 90210, and then I thought she was really bad in the first week. But she did great last week, so she's growing on me.