Friday, October 05, 2007

Journey Across the Pond and Beyond

I've blogged once or twice lately, reminiscing about past trips. In particular, I've been rather nostalgic of late because, at this time last year, we were planning our trip to the UK.

My good friends Elaine and David got married in Glasgow last October. Their wedding was the main reason for the trip, but then we also throughout the country, ending up with a days in London. It was an amazing trip, and I wanted to go back to visit as soon as we boarded the flight home.

I figured Elaine had also been thinking that it had been months since we've spoken when she emailed a few weeks ago and asked for my phone number. Finally we actually spoke earlier this week. I settled in for a long chat about married life, her new house, work, etc. But she actually had an ulterior motive for calling: to tell me that she's pregnant and due in December!

I was surprised—but quite pleasantly so. Elaine and David are going to be fabulous parents. Plus her sister is due 9 days before Elaine, so the entire family is baby-crazy.

However, the happy news got me thinking. Last year had been a big year for Keith and me: we moved to Cleveland and bought a house, traveled to Glacier National Park in July, got a dog, got a cat, traveled to the UK in October. There was always a lot going on.

This year: not so much. We're still in Cleveland, in the same house. With the same dog and cat. I still need to print out the pictures from the Glacier trip and the UK one.

I think this lack of big news, after last year's monumental changes, is to be expected. But it can still be a bit depressing, when it seems like everyone I know it getting pregnant or talking about their babies, their friends' babies, etc. Does this mean that the next time we have big news, it must be that we're pregnant?!?

NOT that a lack of small talk is a good reason to get pregnant, mind you. I'm just saying: we're at the age where everyone we know is pregnant/talking about it/already parents. Any other news starts to feel a little less exciting.

Did I mention that we just bought new rugs for the living room? Pretty exciting stuff!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry!!! No babies here! I'd rather discuss the rug. In fact, one of my favorite movie's plots revolves around a rug: "That rug really tied the room together."

I'm a little silly today.

Jonathan Beckett said...

We had a similar thing happen - all our friends started having children, and we were left behind in many ways.

In our case, it wasn't for want of trying (as I talked about on my blogs about IVF) - and now of course we are going to vault over all of them and adopt several children at once.

Tip - read my blog in a years time, if I still have time to write it, and the computer hasn't had jam carefully inserted into it.

M. Lubbers said...

Thanks, Cat! I knew I could count on you;)

Jonathan--way to catch up and surpass your friends;) I'll be interested to see how your blog develops over the next year. I'm sure it will be a crazy trip!!